This is the review for the First Semester Exam. This is an extra credit assignment.
English IV Final Review
Define the following terms using the brown literature book for definitions.
1. Epic poem
2. Epic hero
5. Tragic hero
6. Tragic flaw
7. Dramatic irony
8. Situational irony
9. Verbal irony
20. Blank verse
Answer the following questions:
21. What three tribes make up the Anglo-Saxons?
22. What is feudalism?
23. What was the Domesday Book?
24. What was the Magna Carta and what did it do?
25. Who was William the Conqueror?
26. What happened in the Battle of Hastings?
27. What type of English was Beowulf written in? (Old, Middle, or Modern)
28. Who wrote Macbeth?
29. What is mead?
30. What is the name of the mead hall that Grendel attacks?
31. Who is the king of this mead hall?
32. How many men does Beowulf bring with him.
33. What weapon does Beowulf use to fight Grendel?
34. What is the one thing Grendel cannot touch and why?
35. What does Grendel’s mother take back to her lair?
36. Where is the battle with Grendel’s mother fought?
37. Who makes the sword that Beowulf uses to kill her?
38. What happens to its blade ?
39. Who stays to help Beowulf fight the dragon?
40. Where are Beowulf’s ashes buried?
41. Where is the Beowulf’s tower located?
42. What is the name of the king that Macbeth kills?
43. What is Macbeth’s title at the beginning of the play? Thane of …..
44. What does Lady McB do to the guard’s drinks?
45. Why doesn’t Lady McB kill Duncan?
46. What is the name of Banquo’s son?
47. Who is the Thane of Fife?
48. What 3 apparitions does MacB see?
49. What do these 3 apparitions tell him?
50. How does Lady MacB die?
51. Whose ghost does Macbeth see at the banquet?
52. Who kills MacB?
53. Who becomes the next king?
54. Where are the pilgrims going in Canterbury Tales?
55. What is a pilgrimage?
56. Who do the rioters go looking for in the Pardoner’s Tale?
57. What do they find under the tree?
58. What is the moral of the story?
59. What happens to all of them?
60. What does the knight do the young lady in Wife of Bath?
61. What punishment does the king want to give for this crime?
62. What question does the queen want the knight to answer?
63. How long does he have to answer the question?
64. What is the answer to the question?
65. What is the point of Midas in the story?
66. What happens to the old woman at the end of the story?
67. What are groundlings?
68. What was the nickname of the Globe Theater?
69. What was Shakespeare’s first theatrical success?
70. What was his first theater job?
71. How was the 1st Globe Theater destroyed?
72. Who played the parts of women in the theater?
73. What must you do to lift the Macbeth curse?
74. What do people in the theater call the play Macbeth?
75. Who is the father of English poetry?